Human Resources Assistant
- Career Level
- Entry Level
PURPOSE OF POSITION -- The Human Resources Assistant provides specialized administrative support to the Human Resources Department and assists in carrying out various HR programs and procedures as directed. The individual in this role acts as the initial point of contact for clients and vendors, plays a key role in all disciplines of the corporate HR function and ensures the seamless progression of work between team members to complete projects in a timely and professional manner.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES --
- Provides administrative support for the HR Department across all functions. Duties might include:
RECRUITING and ONBOARDING – assist with tracking applicant submissions; coordinate assessments; create and maintain employee records.
PAYROLL/HRIS – monitor timesheets for timely approval; run reports for regular biweekly payroll, audits and other projects as needed; perform periodic self-audits to ensure integrity of record maintenance systems; follow up with employees and managers regarding missing, expired or outdated documents to meet compliance requirements; respond to requests for verification of employment; participate in research and testing for HRIS functionality; assist managers and employees with password re-sets and troubleshoot other system-related issues; purge employee records as directed.
BENEFITS – reconcile monthly invoices from carriers and process for payment; answer general questions about benefit plans and coverage; facilitate mailings from carriers to insured participants; assist with processing employee changes for the 401(k) plan and benefit coverage.
LEARNING and DEVELOPMENT – serve as administrator for online training services; maintain the database of employee users; assign courses based upon prescribed curriculum.
COMMUNICATION and ENGAGEMENT - participate in development and creation of content for employee communications; post and maintain HR-related information on the Company intranet; assist with design and production of HR forms, documents and templates; participate in planning and execution of engagement and recognition programs.
GENERAL – telephone coverage; copying/scanning projects; mail/email handling; ordering departmental supplies; periodic back-up assistance to other corporate administrative staff as requested.
- Acts as a knowledge resource; answers general questions from clients in a timely manner; refers specific requests to other members of the HR team as necessary; effectively identifies and escalates problems to the Director of Human Resources as they occur.
- Complies with all applicable Federal and State regulations and Company directives related to privacy and confidentiality.
- Participates in and contributes to department staff meetings on a regular basis.
- Contributes toward the development of standard operating procedures in all areas of influence; continues to find new ways to improve quality and efficiency.
- Updates job knowledge at an appropriate level by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications and growing personal networks.
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests and exploring opportunities to add value.
- Assists with other duties as necessary and provides general support of the Parkway mission in whatever way(s) possible.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILL REQUIREMENTS --
- Basic knowledge of Federal and State employment law, benefit administration, payroll practices and procedures.
- Exceptionally strong interpersonal and client service skills with an emphasis on tact and diplomacy. Builds relationships and works cohesively with others.
- Effective time management and personal organization skills; works with a sense of urgency; able to meet deadlines. Follows through on commitments, using sound judgement and the ability to recognize and handle sensitive/confidential information.
- Advanced level of proficiency using Microsoft Office with an emphasis on Excel, Word, Powerpoint and Publisher.
- Aptitude for working in a highly detailed, data-driven environment.
- Ability to adapt quickly to change, prioritize tasks and perform multiple functions.
- Professional, effective written and verbal communication skills. Understands the concept of communicating early and often and conducts one’s self accordingly. Requires the ability to read, write and speak English clearly to complete tasks.
- Ability to comprehend, analyze and interpret documents. Capable of defining problems, collecting data, establishing facts and drawing conclusions at a level appropriate for the function.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide common units of measure using whole numbers, fractions and decimals and apply these concepts to practical situations.
- Must be available for periodic after-hours and weekend project work.
EDUCATION and WORK EXPERIENCE --
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Coursework completed toward an Associate’s/Bachelor’s degree or a Certificate program in Human Resources or Business Administration.
- Minimum one (1) year work experience within a structured Human Resources environment required; additional experience in hospitality or client service preferred.
- Strong interest in a career in Human Resources preferred.
PHYSICAL / MENTAL / ENVIRONMENTAL -- Physical: sitting (80%), walking and standing (20%); reaching with hands and arms; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects or controls; lifting/carrying up to 20 lbs; push/pull carts carrying supplies or equipment; close/distance/peripheral vision, depth perception, color differentiation and ability to adjust focus; hear voices in both small and large group environments; hear alerts from building systems and office automation; speak one-on-one and in groups, in person and via telephonic devices. Mental: memory, logic, analysis, judgement, discretion (appropriate for functional level). Environment: Work is indoors in a climate-controlled office setting. Noise level is usually moderate.
The physical, mental and environmental characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
# # #
Apply for Human Resources Assistant
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly