Customer Service/Constituent Services Specialist I
CUSTOMER SERVICE/CONSTITUENT SERVICES SPECIALIST I
Provide customer service and outreach assistance to citizens and businesses of Orange County by telephone, in person, satellite office locations and at outreach events and activities throughout the year.
Work is performed under the supervision of the Manager and/or Supervisor, Customer Service/Outreach and under the direction of the Director, Tax Roll, Customer Service and Exemptions. Position is also under the oversight of the Chief Operating Officer and guidance of the Property Appraiser.
This position has no direct reports.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Answer a high volume of incoming phone calls and forward calls as needed to appropriate staff on issues that are complex or require more detail.
- Assist customers in obtaining property information such as exemptions, legal descriptions, value, millage, ownership, maps or other property related characteristics or direct customers accordingly to other available resources.
- Assist public with the completion and filing of applications for homestead and other exemptions.
- Perform general research of agency property records such as multi-year tax roll searches.
- Participate in OCPA outreach activities. Plan and organize website demonstrations to constituents and organizations at satellite offices.
- Attends and assists with agency signature events (i.e. State of Orange County Real Estate), web demos, satellite office visits, festivals, walks, parades, etc. (including major holidays).
- Maintain a list of potential outreach opportunities such as festivals, senior citizen events, military events for retired and active duty, etc.
- Staffing for the events (emails to employees and supervisors).
- Identify organizations for presentations, and schedules logistics.
- Research potential outreach events in Orange County using computer, printed materials, and by phone. Maintain list of potential outreach opportunities such as festivals, senior citizen events, military events for retired and active duty, etc.
- Meets with chambers and community leaders to organize events and presentations.
- During events, take photos and videos and be proficient with cell phone technology, or other such equipment.
- Assist in the preparation of written informational material targeted to outreach constituents. Maintain OCPA inventory of flyers, handouts and all educational materials and supplies necessary for community outreach and special events.
- Assist other departments as necessary. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Must possess an AA degree from an accredited college or university and two (2) years of customer service experience.
- Must have strong telephone and interpersonal skills and the ability to problem solve and find solutions.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must have the ability to understand and carry out moderately complex oral and written instructions as well as the ability to follow office practices and procedures.
- Should have strong spelling and grammar skills. This may include, but is not limited to, composing departmental correspondence and documents and coordinating and completing administrative projects which may be of a confidential nature.
- Must be able to operate and use standard office equipment, possess knowledge of I.T. connectivity and basic operations. Must have the ability to be trained to use sound system equipment, iPads, etc. Should be familiar with and able to utilize personal computer and standard office software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Must be proficient with email, texting and apps such as Dropbox.
- Must be able to quickly gain a working knowledge of the various activities performed by Customer Service and Outreach, other OCPA departments, including knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Must have the ability to lift up to 70 lbs. with the aid of a cart to set up or move tables, tents, chairs, office equipment, sound systems, or file boxes to and from vehicles, events and office. Must have the ability to set up and breakdown the agency tent canopy at designated outreach events.
- Must have and maintain a valid Florida Driver’s License and clean driving record. Must be able to drive a large agency van (i.e. Nissan Cargo Van).
- Performs minor safety and operational checks on assigned agency vehicles (i.e. gas level, safety devices, car wash, tire pressure check, etc.)
- Must attend agency identified training and development programs.
- Must possess the personality and temperament necessary for working under stress in dealing with the public in person and on the phone.
- Must be dependable, punctual and flexible. Will assist with public outreach and community events that may include a varying schedule that may take place early mornings, nights, weekends and during major holidays, on behalf of the Property Appraiser.
- The employee is eligible to begin the Certified Florida Evaluator (CFE) designation process following their 180 day trial or “introductory” period.
- Bi-lingual in English/Spanish preferred, but not required.
- NOTE: Each year of required education may be substituted by two (2) years of work experience. Each year of required experience may be substituted by two (2) years of additional education.
While employed by the Orange County Property Appraiser (OCPA), must not for gratis or for compensation: engage in any real estate activities such as, but not limited to, buying, selling or acting as a broker for others; appraise property; sell OCPA computerized database information; engage in any outside computer programming or consulting. Employees and members of their household may not own or hold financial interest in an appraisal business.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, stoop, crouch or crawl, use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. Lift and/or move 70 pounds on an occasional basis. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Additional physical and/or mental requirements that occur may not be listed above, but are inherent in performing the position’s essential functions. When working outside, may be exposed to extremes of weather conditions common to Central Florida. Position will require driving.
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
All county employees may be called upon to assist other departments in a declared emergency situation (i.e. Hurricane).
AT- WILL STATEMENT
Employment at the Orange County Property Appraiser’s Office is on an “at-will” basis. It may be terminated at any time, with or without cause by either the employee or employer. It is not guaranteed, contracted or promised for any length of time. No person other than the Orange County Property Appraiser has the authority to alter the at-will status of your employment or to enter into any employment contract with you. The Orange County Property Appraiser reserves the right to change, amend or revoke rates of pay, terms and conditions of your employment and job offers at any time.