Police Officer Trainee
This is a training position in which the incumbent will attend the Law Enforcement Academy. The trainee will be responsible for completion of the City Police Officer Trainee Program and become a certified police officer for the City.
Police Officers, under general direction, perform duties -- such as: foot patrol, motorized patrol within the City of Casselberry; prevent crime; detect and arrest the perpetrators of crimes; regulate traffic; provide public assistance; perform all additional functions for the rank as prescribed by relevant laws, city ordinances, departmental rules and regulations, orders and directives of the Police Department.
IMPORTANT !! - YOU MUST READ THE SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION TO DETERMINE YOUR APPLICATION ELIGIBILITY:
-Completes the Trainee Program.
- Attends and successfully completes the Law Enforcement Academy.
- Prepares for and successfully passes the State of Florida Law Enforcement Certification
- Completes prescribed law enforcement training program.
- High School or GED (Applicant with a college degree are preferred)
- Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver's license.
- Must pass the State Officer Certification Exam within six months of employment.
- Must pass the POST (Police Officer Selection Test) examination, complete the writing sample
and a physical fitness examination (CJSTC Physical Abilities Test).
- Must meet minimum age requirement in accordance with F.S.S. of 19 years of age.
- Must become certified as a law officer within six months of appointment to trainee position.
- Must sign and have notarized a City form attesting that you have not consumed tobacco
products within the previous 12 months.
- Must complete the City pre-qualification questionnaire and testing process.
- Qualify in a written examination.
- Qualify in a physical fitness test.
- Qualify in an Oral Review Board
- Qualify in a CVSA Interview/Examination
- Qualify in a physical examination and medical testing administered by the City of Casselberry
approved agent prior to employment
- Qualify in a drug screen test
- Qualify in a psychological fitness test administered by the City of Casselberry approved agent
prior to employment.
- Applicants MUST complete the On-line Application and the Supplemental Questions by November 12, 2019 at 11:59 PM. If you do not have access to a computer with Internet, there is one available at the Casselberry City Hall or at our local library.
- The Recruitment Section will review your On-line Application and the Supplemental Questions. If you do not meet the minimum standards, you will be notified by E-mail. If you do meet the minimum standards, an Application Packet will be E-mailed to you.
- The Application Packet must be completed either in Adobe and printed or printed out and typed out. Handwritten documents WILL NOT be accepted. The Application Packet must be complete with all required documents attached, signed, notarized (where applicable) and returned to the Casselberry Police Department by 4:00 p.m. on November 21, 2019.
- The Recruitment Section will review your Application Packet. If you do not meet the minimum standards, you will be notified by E-mail. If you do meet the minimum standards, you be notified by E-mail and invited to take the Written (POST) Test and the Physical Abilities Test (PAT).
- The required POST (Police Officer Selection Test) exam will be conducted in the Casselberry Police Department multi-purpose room on December 5, 2019; from 8:00 AM to 10:30 AM. Applicants will be notified immediately of their test score. Applicants that have passed the POST will be permitted to complete the PAT (Physical Abilities Test) (Test date subject to change. Advanced notice will be provided)
- The PAT will follow the POST. The PAT will be at Secret Lake Park, also on December 5, 2019; at 10:30 a.m. until done (Maps and directions will be provided). Applicants will be notified immediately of their test time. (The parameters of the PAT are available from the Casselberry Police Department) (PAT Test date subject to change. Advanced notice will be provided)
- Applicants who pass both the POST and PAT testing will be invited to the Oral Board Review which will be conducted at the Casselberry Police Department. The date of the Oral Board Review will be December 11, 2019 times (TBD) 2018 from 0800-1600. Candidates will be contacted by our recruiting team to schedule the oral board. Candidates will also be notified by mail of their specific date & time slot. You also will be fingerprinted. This maybe done prior to or following your Oral Board Review.
- After Oral Board Reviews are completed the Recruitment Section will compile all successful applicants' files and review them with the Support Services Commander. The team will select applicants that are going to be either: (1) sent for a background review; (2) held for further consideration on an eligibility list; or (3) removed from the process. All applicants will be notified of their status by mail.
- The background process will be handled by the Support Services Sergeant. This process will include, but is not limited to, a voice stress examination; a fingerprint comparison; a neighborhood check and a review of the history concerning your employment, driving, credit, criminal history and drug usage. Dates and times associated with this process are at the discretion of the background investigators. After the completion of the Background Check, all applicants will be notified of their status by mail. Applicants with acceptable backgrounds will advance to the Chief's office for file review. The Chief may schedule an interview or maintain the applicant on an eligibility list.
- The Chief's Interview will be conducted at the discretion of the Chief of Police. The Chief's Staff Assistant will contact the applicant to schedule the interview. The Chief of Police will select applicants that are either going to be: (1) recommended for Conditional Employment Offers; (2) held for further consideration; or (3) removed from the process. All applicants will be notified of their status by mail. Applicants that are being recommended for Conditional Employment Offers will advance to the City Manager/HR Review.
- The City Manager (or designee) will review the application package and either approve or deny the Conditional Employment Offer. Applicants that are denied will be notified by mail. Applicants that are approved will be advanced to the final stage.
- The final stage consists of a medical physical, drug screen and psychological review of the applicant. Applicants that fail any part of this stage will be removed from employment consideration. Applicants that pass all parts of this stage will be authorized for a full time position with the Casselberry Police Department. The Support Services Sergeant will coordinate a starting date with the new officer and the City of Casselberry Human Resources department.
-Selected candidates will receive $15.00 per hour and all Academy expenses paid while attending the Academy and will receive $41,000 a year when sworn in as a Police Officer for the City.
-Selected candidates will be required to sign an agreement to work for the Casselberry Police Department for four (4) years. If, at their will, the candidate/officer leaves the agency before that time frame, they will be required to repay the department at a year prorated amount.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE AT: http://www.casselberry.org