Medical Assistant - Orlando Health Internal Medicine Practice - Day Shift
Department: ORMC OPN OP Internal Medicine
Status: Full Time
The Medical Assistant Performs patient care under the direction and supervision of the physician or Advanced Practice Provider (APP) in an ambulatory care setting.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Successful completion of Medical Assistant training from an approved technical school required.
If hired after January 1st, 2015 must be certified by one of the following agencies within 6 months of hire or if transferring to another department:
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) (www.aama-ntl.org)
- Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) by American Medical Technologists (AMT) (www.amt1.com)
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) by National Healthcareer Association (NHA) (www.nhanow.com)
- National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) by National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT) (www.ncctinc.com
Maintains current American Heart Association BLS Healthcare Provider Certification.
- Performs patient care under the direct supervision of a physician or APP.
- Accountable to the Medical Office Manager, Academic Program Manager, Academic Nurse Manager, Practice Site Supervisor, or Department Manager for operational issues.
- Works collaboratively with the administrative and operations staff.
- Gathers patient data through interview and observation.
- Assists patients and families with preparation for examination.
- Assists the physician during examination and procedures.
- Demonstrates competency in specific tasks and skills as defined by the practice.
- Provides routine treatments.
- Documents treatments, procedures, and patient education according to Orlando Health and department specific policies.
- Assists the physician by acting as a liaison on behalf of the patient to schedule, provide patient with scheduling information to obtain specialty testing, and/or specialty physician consultation.
- Processes incoming and outgoing calls in an independent and professional manner using sound clinical judgment.
- Maintains reasonably regular, punctual attendance consistent with Orlando Health policies, the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
- Maintains compliance with all Orlando Health policies and procedures.
Other Related Functions
- Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care and have the ability to assess data appropriate to the age-specific needs of the patients on his or her assigned department and/or unit.
- Participates in Quality Assurance and Quality Indicator activities as assigned.
- Demonstrates awareness of medical/legal issues, patient rights and compliance with standards of regulatory and accrediting agencies.
- Practices the efficient use of supplies.
- Assists business office as needed with reception, scheduling, and discharge of patients.
Phlebotomy experience preferred.
ADDRESS: 21 West Columbia Street Orlando FL 32806
ABOUT ORLANDO HEALTH
Orlando Health is one of Florida's most comprehensive private, not-for-profit healthcare networks, and is based in Orlando, FL. Our facilities, advanced medical treatments and procedures, and highly qualified staff have distinguished Orlando Health as a healthcare leader for nearly two million Central Florida residents and 10,000 international visitors annually. Click here to learn more about Orlando Health.