Laboratory Assistant - South Lake Hosp - Lab - Full Time - Third Shift
Department: SOLK Laboratory
Status: Variable Full Time
Nestled among the picturesque hills and pristinelakes of Clermont, is the award-winning Orlando Health South Lake Hospital A rated by the Leapfrog Group for being one of the safest hospitals in theUS; and the proud recipient of a 4-star rating from the Centers for Medicare& Medicaid Services (CMS). Our dedication to our community and team membersis revealed in our scores - Patient Experience (70thpercentile) and Team Member Engagement (89th percentile).
Serving South Lake County since 1947, Orlando Health South Lake Hospital is a 170-bed community hospital offering a full continuum of care close to home for residents of south Lake County. Located in Clermont about 25 miles west of downtown Orlando, the Orlando Health South Lake campus includes a Center for Womens Health, providing complete care for women from maternity to maturity; the Sky Top View Rehabilitation Center, a 30-bed, leading-edge, postsurgical rehabilitation center; and the National Training Center, which attracts elite athletes and sports teams from around the world for training and conditioning. Orlando Health South Lake offers a variety of medical services, including diagnostic imaging, orthopedics, robotic surgery, urology and cardiac care as well as expanded cancer services at the Orlando Health UF Health Cancer Center - Clermont. Orlando Health South Lake also offers services on two additional campuses in Lake County, located in south Leesburg, and the Four Corners area.
The Laboratory Assistant II performs specimen receiving and processing duties, registers patients, enters orders in the computer system, centrifuge specimens, labels and aliquot samples, delivers to test site, stores samples, slides, blocks, etc.
High School Diploma or GED equivalency
Two (2) years of laboratory experience or patient care experience. Current student seeking higher educational degree or certification in a science field, such as nursing, medical technology, pre-med, or related clinical field may be substituted for up to two years of the required experience.
- Provides support in the areas of patient registration, third party reimbursement requirements and regulations.
- Maintains department supplies and customer supply orders.
- Demonstrates knowledge of specimen collection and handling requirements.
- Performs all departmental functions and has a thorough knowledge of hospital and laboratory information systems, to include downtime functions, specimen processing, transportation, billing, reference testing and scheduling.
- Maintains positive customer service relationships at all times and proactively responds to customer service issues.
- Processes pathology specimens as appropriate.
- Trains staff as required.
- Ability to work flexible hours to meet the needs of the department.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work cooperatively with all team members and respond to customer phone calls.
- Assist in maintaining and cleaning of laboratory equipment, i.e., refrigerators, centrifuges.
- Follows the established policies and procedures to meet regulatory and accrediting agency requirements.
- Maintains reasonably regular, punctual attendance consistent with Orlando Health policies, the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
- Maintains compliance with all Orlando Health policies and procedures.
Other Related Functions
- Responsible for maintaining an active role in the laboratory Quality Improvement Program.
- Maximizes productivity, customer satisfaction and profitability.
- Documents specimen quality issues.
- Adheres to infection control and safety practices and keeps a clean and organized work area.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient record, hospital and departmental matters at all times.
- Performs filing of reports and requisitions.
- Assists with charting and report distribution via telephone, fax, or as appropriate.
- Reads and understands a Physicians laboratory test order.
- Schedules Pathologists, Histotechnicians or Transportation Reps as needed.
- Assists with bone marrow collection and processing.
- May perform phlebotomy as necessary (must have approved competency on file before completing).
ADDRESS: 1900 Don Wickham Drive Clermont FL 34711
ABOUT ORLANDO HEALTH
Orlando Health is one of Florida's most comprehensive private, not-for-profit healthcare networks, and is based in Orlando, FL. Our facilities, advanced medical treatments and procedures, and highly qualified staff have distinguished Orlando Health as a healthcare leader for nearly two million Central Florida residents and 10,000 international visitors annually. Click here to learn more about Orlando Health.