Airline Wheelchair Assistant
A Wheelchair Assistant works at an airport facility and provides assistance to passengers traveling in wheelchairs.
Responsibilities include pushing passengers in a wheelchair to and from their arrival/departure gate, and assisting passengers with moving luggage to their vehicles, taxi stands, parking shuttle stations, and rental car stations. Wheelchair Assistants must maintain a friendly and positive attitude and always be attentive to each passenger’s individual needs.Communicating effectively and clearly. Asking each passenger the safety and security questions
This is a physically demanding position which requires on-the-job security training and the ability to receive all applicable airport security badges.
- Push wheelchair passengers to and from gates
- Roll customer-occupied wheelchair safely down the jet bridge
- Ensure wheel brakes are in place prior to allowing passengers to exit the wheelchair
- Complete any necessary wheelchair or incident reports
- Follow dispatcher gate orders
- Maintains a friendly and positive attitude and is attentive to each passenger’s individual needs; by assisting passenger with any problems, questions, or concerns
- Maintain professional working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors, managers, airline employees, and airport authorities
- Exceed customer service standards
- Carry out other duties as assigned
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Be authorized to work in the United States
- Must be able to clear a background and drug screen
- Must be able to lift up to up to 75 lbs and push a loaded wheelchair up to 300lbs up and down inclines throughout the shift
- Experience in customer service preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills using appropriate grammar, tone, and pronunciation to effectively communicate with internal and external customers
- Complete all required training including airport compliance
- Able to obtain an airport badge
Employees are expected at all times to present a professional business-like image, even when working behind the scenes. It is the policy of the Company that each employee’s dress, grooming, and personal hygiene should be appropriate to the work situation and be consistent with the Company’s business standards.
- For all male employees a fully grown in, well-maintained mustache, beard or goatee is permitted
- Facial hair must be neatly trimmed at one-fourth of an inch in length and may not present an unkempt appearance
- No visible tattoos or body piercings are allowed. Any tattoos must be covered by your uniform or other means agreed upon by management.
- Clean & well-maintained approved uniforms must be worn on shift
- Additional requirements as specified by management
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers and to communicate with customers and fellow employees. The employee is frequently required to sit; reach with hands and arms; stand; walk. The employee is also frequently required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, and crouch. In addition, the employee is required to of twist, turn, stretch, and bend on a frequent basis. The employee must be able to lift and move up to 75 pounds regularly. The employee must be able to move in a relatively quick manner. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Peripheral vision and Ability to adjust focus.