Financial Counselor - South Lake Business Office - First
Department: SOLK Business Office
Status: Variable Full Time
The Financial Counselor assists patients and their families with a host of services to ensure that the process of collecting payments is fully explained and is as comfortable as possible.
- High School or equivalent.
- Must complete Corporate and Patient Financial Services Orientation programs and annual education requirements.
- Two (2) years experience in a financial, business office, or customer service environment required.
- Proficient in Windows Microsoft Office-based products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Typing proficiency.
- One (1) year PC/Windows experience.
- Understands the importance Orlando Health places on providing exemplary customer service and performs job functions in a manner that helps meet the department customer service goals.
- Demonstrates a positive and professional approach and communicates effectively with customers and team members at all times.
- Identifies customer service issues and resolves or initiates necessary follow-up.
- Efficiently and accurately gathers and inputs patient/guarantor demographic and financial information.
- Explains necessary forms and obtains signatures from patient/guarantor.
- Contacts appropriate payers, verifying benefits and obtaining necessary authorizations.
- Utilizes appropriate reports to contact insurance payers for resolution to accounts that are pending or denied.
- Explains insurance benefits and collects co-pays, deductibles and self-pay portions due.
- Collects for related professional care when appropriate.
- Collects outstanding balances due from previous accounts or establishes payment arrangements for these balances as appropriate.
- Able to answer basic customer billing questions.
- Contacts Primary Care or Admitting Physician to obtain authorizations, diagnosis, and procedure detail as necessary.
- Documents authorization and benefit information in registration system.
- Assembles patient record and obtains copies of relevant documents including insurance cards, photo identification cards and any advance directives.
- Maintains a working knowledge of third party reimbursement requirements and regulations.
- Exhibits working knowledge in the use of all registration and scheduling systems, electronic verification tools and Web based resources.
- Follows Patient Financial Services self-pay policies including completion of Guarantor Financial Statement Application, explanation of payment options and collections of monies due.
- Follows Patient Financial Services policies related to cash handling.
- Performs department cashiering functions and point of service transactions.
- Collects and inventories patient valuables following policy guidelines.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the medical necessity screening process and appropriate systems.
- Maintains a working knowledge of ICD-10 and CPT codes.
- Performs appropriate pre-registration functions including calling physician offices, insurance payers and the patient/guarantor, as necessary.
- Cross-trained with appropriate knowledge and skills necessary to staff multiple areas within department, including but not limited to Front Desk, Admitting Office, Cashier, Insurance Verification, Floor Representatives, Pre-Registration, Scheduling and Emergency Department Business Office.
- Participates in training of new team members.
- When performing scheduling functions maintains open communication with physicians and their offices, patients, all ancillary and surgical areas to include scheduling, rescheduling and cancellations of single/multiple tests and procedures.
- When performing scheduling functions provide patients with thorough and accurate procedure information.
- Works with Nursing, Ancillary, Scheduling, Case Management, Social Workers, Managed Care Companies, Physicians, Administration, Patient Accounting, HIM and other departments as needed.
- Maintains departmental logs for statistical reporting.
- Works departmental reports as assigned.
- Exhibits working knowledge in the use of the telephone system, scanners, printers, copy machine, fax machine, and paging systems.
- Consistently meets Quality Assurance standards set by Patient Access and the department.
- Meets departmental goals regarding collections, productivity and customer service.
- Maintains flexibility in work schedule availability that allows department to change/modify work schedule to meet departmental needs.
- Meets federal, state and hospital requirements related to compliance issues.
- Maintains reasonably regular, punctual attendance consistent with Orlando Health policies, the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
- Maintains compliance with all Orlando Health policies and procedures.
Other Related Functions
- Attends and participates in department staff meetings and attends other meetings as assigned.
- Participates in internal department committees.
- Responsible for reviewing and adhering to all Patient Financial Services and departmental education initiatives.
- Meets all corporate and Patient Financial Services annual recertification and education requirements.
- Assists his/her manager in planning and organizing department activities.
ADDRESS: 1900 Don Wickham Drive Clermont FL 34711
ABOUT ORLANDO HEALTH
Orlando Health is one of Florida's most comprehensive private, not-for-profit healthcare networks, and is based in Orlando, FL. Our facilities, advanced medical treatments and procedures, and highly qualified staff have distinguished Orlando Health as a healthcare leader for nearly two million Central Florida residents and 10,000 international visitors annually. Click here to learn more about Orlando Health.