Assistant Cook on NCL Pride of America
POSITION SUMMARY / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Assistant Cook is responsible for delivering products of the highest quality in terms of freshness, taste, and consistency, with strict adherence to USPH/FDA guidelines. Assistant Cooks are responsible for batch, a la minute, and line cooking techniques. He/she reports directly to the Chef Tournant. The Assistant Cook is responsible for following all standardized recipes and notifying the Chef Tournant or Cook of any shortages or discrepancies in products or ingredients. The Assistant Cook is responsible for keeping their immediate work area clean at all times.
- Maintains an organized and efficient flow of production, with regards to changes in forecasts and menus
- Responsible for mise-en-place, and food service for station
- Consistently checks temperatures in foods and follows proper procedures in regards to chilling, re-heating, and holding food.
- Reports waste to supervisors on a daily basis
- Checks station upon arrival to determine status of outstanding safety, or equipment issues
- Checks station prior to leaving to ensure cleanliness, proper disposal/removal of food, and proper storing and labeling
- Maintains USPH/FDA standards for station
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SEMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.
- Minimum one year experience preparing food in the following methods is required: roast, broil, braise, sauté, fry and grill (including breakfast items
- Minimum one year experience working in a food production and/or line capacity is required.
- Minimum one year experience in a high volume hot production operation is required. Formal culinary training may substitute at an equivalent rate
- Minimum of six months experience in basic cooking techniques and skills, such as knife skills, basic cuts, and all cooking methods is required.
- Minimum of six months experience in using/operating basic culinary equipment such as a steamer, fryer, kettles, and robocoup is required.
- High School Diploma or foreign equivalent is required.
- Two year degree from a recognized culinary education establishment or foreign equivalency is preferred.
- Proactive, Team Player, Problem Solver
- Passionate about hospitality and customer service driven
- Must have a professional appearance and good hygiene
- Able to work 7 days a week
- Ability to live in close quarters, share limited space with other cabin-mates
- The U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) requires all crew members employed with NCL America aboard the Pride of America to hold a Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC). In order to qualify for a MMC, applicants must demonstrate specific physical abilities necessary to perform shipboard duties per USCG guidelines (COMPDTPUB 16700.4 NVIC 04-8). Shall have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40.0 or less. Blood Pressure as per USCG a maximum 160/100.