TECHNICAL WRITER (MID/SENIOR)
- Aero Simulation, Inc.
- Tampa, Florida
- Competitive Salary
- Apr 28, 2023
- Jun 27, 2023
- Engineering, Aeronautical
For almost 40 years Aero Simulation Inc. (ASI) has provided quality flight training devices to the US Military. ASI has successfully built numerous training systems with a primary focus on aircrew and maintenance training systems. Our current programs include, but are not limited to, the B-1 Training Systems (Air Force), E-2D Training Systems (Navy), CH-53E Training Devices (USMC) and IMOMS (Coast Guard). To learn more about ASI visit Aero Simulation | Products and Services for Commercial and Military Training (https://usg02.safelinks.protection.office365.us/?url=https%3A%2F%2Faerosimulation.com%2F&data=05%7C01%7C%7C1a6f04ae3b78462166f208dac1026ff1%7C5db15bd54bcb46f79130ada8c651144a%7C0%7C0%7C638034513454388455%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=IDgyFtg2ax0EG81zu09zsCNt68chGVH1QYOf%2B8We3%2Fg%3D&reserved=0). To learn more about this opportunity, keep reading!
Before we tell you more about the position we want to tell you why you want a career at ASI! While your work contributes to ASI's mission ASI supports you and your family! ASI has one of the most competitive benefits packages in the industry. We offer everything from a flexible work schedule to comprehensive medical, life and voluntary coverage options.
- 9/80 Work Schedule - Have Every Other Friday Off!
- Competitive Salary!
- Sign-On Bonuses
- Paid Off Time - Increases with years of service
- Paid Holidays – Company honors 6 holidays, the day after Thanksgiving and week-long year-end shutdown
- Parental Leave, Bereavement Leave, Jury Duty Leave and Military Leave and More!
- 401(k) – Company Match
- Medical Insurance – ASI pays 100% of Employee premiums plus the premiums for either spouse or family. After 10 years of service – full family medical insurance premiums are paid 100% by employer.
- Dental Insurance – ASI pays 100% of Employee
- Vision Insurance – Optional (Employee Paid)
- Long Term Disability – ASI pays 100%
- Short Term Disability
- Health Spending Accounts (HSA)
- Tuition Reimbursement/Student Loan Repayment
- Telework/Work from Home
- Professional Development: Multiple opportunities for personal and professional development through internal training & certification programs and unlimited access to online learning opportunities.
- In House Gym
Research, write and edit deliverable technical publications, configuration documentation, and Integrated Logistics Support documentation for ASI products. Technical publications including operation and maintenance manuals, preventive maintenance systems, instructor utilization handbooks, COTS manuals, and other ILS/configuration documentation as required by the contract. Products are accurate and in compliance with contractual requirements. Products are contractual deliverables that support the overall program objectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Research, write, edit project documentation deliverables (e.g. Technical Reference Manuals, Procedures, System Operation & Maintenance Manuals, Instructor Utilization Handbooks, Training System Support Document) in accordance with Data Item Descriptions.
- Execute and manage all aspects of own projects, including planning, researching, writing, review process, coordination of other departmental resources, and publication.
- Work closely with product development teams to ensure accuracy and completeness of information.
- Study drawings, specifications, mock-ups, and product samples to integrate and delineate technology, operating procedure, and production sequence and detail.
- Review published materials in order to recommend revisions or changes in scope, format, content, and methods of reproduction and binding.
- Utilize manufacturers and trade catalogs, drawings and other data relative to operation, maintenance, and service of equipment.
- Select photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams, and charts to best illustrate material.
- Create/modify illustrations to enhance specified materials or assembly sequence.
- Interpret contract requirements and communicate compliance approach in both verbal and meeting presentation format.
- Assist with creation, duplication, and distribution of material.
- Organize and compile Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) Manuals for submittal to the customer in accordance with specifications.
- Provide Logistics support for DMSMS, spares provisioning, maintainability and reliability analysis.
- Maintain ongoing collaboration with Logistics customer counterparts to proactively manage expectations and mitigate project risks.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
ENTRY - 0 TO 3 Years
MID- 3 to 7 Years
SENIOR - 7+
- Ability to collect, research, organize, and synthesize material from inspection of systems, engineering documentation, and oral discussions with personnel responsible for trainer systems.
- Ability to understand and follow contractual requirements and work with stakeholders to clarify and refine those requirements when ambiguous or open to interpretation.
- Ability to establish and follow schedules and balance competing demands for limited resources.
- High proficiency in using MS Office, Visio, HTML documentation, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Writing style that focuses on order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
- Working knowledge of writing processes, principles and techniques in research and writing.
- Experience in a highly regulated environment.
- Proven ability to analyze highly technical information.
ADDITIONAL REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Ability to sustain customer rapport and interact well within a team environment.
- Ability to adapt communication style and messaging to different audiences verbally and in writing.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects simultaneously, ensuring stakeholder expectations are managed appropriately.
- Ability to work in a project-oriented, fast paced environment to meet deadlines.
- Extremely Detail and process oriented
- Required to communicate in English.
- Technical writing experience in the flight simulator industry is preferred.
- Technical writing experience in Department of Defense, Military or Aviation Standards is preferred.
- Familiarity with AutoCad, SolidWorks, and XML (Arbortext) is preferred.
- Logistics experience providing maintainability/reliability analysis for customers is preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree in Technical Writing, English or Engineering (with Technical Writing and/or Integrated Logistics Support experience).
- Due to contractual requirements must be a United States Citizen
- Must be able to pass an initial background check.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an active Department of Defense security clearance. Employee/selected candidate will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information (as required)
- This is not a remote position, opportunity to conduct work remotely is very infrequent.
- Required to communicate in English.
- The ability to travel to installation sites to install and troubleshoot systems.
- ASI is a Drug Free Workplace where applicants and employees are required to successfully pass pre-employment and Random drug testing.
- Typically, employees sit comfortably to do their work, interspersed by brief periods of standing, walking, bending carrying papers and books, and extensive periods requiring the use of computer terminals to accomplish work objectives.
- Additional skills may be required to perform additional task(s) specific to work location, department or line of business.
- Must be travel via car and airplane.
- Required to sit and use hands and fingers to handle or feel and manipulate keys on a keyboard.
- Required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- Must be able to climb stairs to enter and exit a simulator.
- Work is primarily performed in an office environment consisting of offices and cubicles with low to moderate noise and bright or dim lighting.
- Noise level may be increased if conducting work in the manufacturing area.
- The work is fast-paced and sometimes involves extreme deadline pressures.
- The nature of the work requires a high degree of teamwork and cooperation with other members of the staff as well as external customers.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
ASI is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, domestic/civil partnership or marital status, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. We strive for everyone to be valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best.
ASI will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant.
This policy applies to all areas of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, transfer, termination, layoff, compensation benefits, social and recreational programs, and all other conditions and privileges of employment in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
It is the policy of ASI to comply with all the relevant and applicable provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and its Amendments. ASI will not discriminate against any qualified employee or job applicant with respect to any terms, privileges, or conditions of employment because of a person's physical or mental disability. ASI also will make reasonable accommodation wherever necessary for all employees or applicants with handicaps, disabilities, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the duties and assignments connected with the job and provided that any accommodations made are not an undue hardship for ASI.