Sports Operations Director
Main Location Adminstration
Oversee the vision, leadership and operations management of both youth and adult sports programs and staff for their assigned region with 5 - 7 Family Center locations within our Association while also being responsible for an operational business line in sports for the organization. Markets and promotes sports programs; responsible for approximately 5,000 – 7,000 + registered participants per region, with a budgeted revenue of approximately $600K - $700K + annually. The Operations Director-Sports works collaboratively with Family Center and Association leadership to develop, implement and grow sports programs that are responsive to the needs of the community and are consistent with the philosophy and mission of the YMCA of Central Florida.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you. We are the Y.
- Lead Association Sports initiatives through active engagement with the Sports Experience team.
- Recruit, hire, train, and supervise sports leaders for assigned region over multiple Family Center locations. Develop and retain staff with appropriate skill depth level and promote career succession planning.
- Lead, develop and implement sports initiative/business line (ESports/Adult Sports/Partnerships/Academy Programs/Competitive Sports) for the organization with successful engagement across all Family Centers.
- Ensure high quality programing through innovative program development, evaluations, and audits of program delivery. Writes, recommends and implements sports curriculum for their assigned region.
- Ensure all required certifications and on-going trainings are completed in accordance with Association guidelines and program needs.
- Manage the budget for all programs within oversight, including controlling salary and supply costs to meet and/or exceed expected net margins.
- Community building through cultivating and maintaining key business partnerships for the purpose of program development that supports the Association's Sports revenue and participation growth goals.
- Ensure all program and safety SOPs are followed.
- Lead, manage, and supervise 300-400 total volunteers per region annually that are involved with all of our youth sports programs.
- Recruit, train, and communicate the mission & values of the YMCA to all program volunteers while ensuring that all background-screening requirements are met.
- Develop, manage and coordinate all communication to the participants in your region utilizing Playerspace for communication and program management.
- Actively seek out and engage in community organization collaborations.
- Work with the other Operational Leadership in curriculum development and new program initiatives.
- Ensure that all of our program facilities and athletic fields/areas portray a clean, welcoming environment in accordance with all safety SOPs.
- Develop a creative and innovative marketing/promotional plan for all programs that meets all brand standards.
- Provide Executive management support at home family center with MOD shifts, member success, and fundraising.
- Meet designated campaign goal and ensure all members and participants understand the YMCA's charitable history by participating in the Annual Campaign.
- Assures compliance with state and local regulations. Ensures that program standards are met and safety procedures are followed.
- Coordinates special events and activities.
- Provides data and reports as required for assigned region.
- Exemplify a commitment to the Y's mission; including diversity, equity and inclusion throughout the Association and across all programs.
- All other duties as assigned by management.
- Bachelor degree in sports management, human services, social services, recreation, business or equivalent work experience required.
- Minimum three years sports program management experience; supervision of multiple departments with comparable fiscal management responsibilities in a YMCA or related industry required.
- YMCA Director level experience overseeing programming for sports and/or youth highly preferred.
- Minimum three years of staff supervision experience required.
- Minimum five years of experience directing programs through supervising, recruiting and engaging volunteers.
- Experience collaborating with key community partnerships that supports the strategic initiatives preferred.
- Must have experience in marketing and program development; including age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate programs and activities.
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain collaborations with community organizations.
- Microsoft Office proficiency required; Paylocity HR/Payroll; Salesforce point of sale or related CRM experience preferred.
- PlayerSpace or related technology communication platform proficiency required.
- Current CPR/AED and First Aid certifications required.
- Previous experience with diverse populations. Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, which may include weekends and holidays as needed.
- Must be willing to work an on-call schedule rotation as required.
- Must be willing to travel within Central Florida. Must have a valid Driver license. The employee is required to have visual acuity to operate motor vehicles.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- The physical activities of this position include: stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, and repetitive motions. Talking is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, with or without correction.
- The employee must be able to perform medium work: exerting up to 50 to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- The employee is required to have close visual acuity, along with the visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned or to make general observations of facilities or structures. The employee is required to have visual acuity to operate motor vehicles.
- The employee is subject to both environmental conditions: activities occur inside and outside. The employee is subject to extreme heat: temperatures above 100 degrees for periods of more than one hour.
- May be required to sit or stand for extended periods of time while demonstrating manual dexterity in order to accurately work on the phone, computer keyboard, and other equipment.
- Must complete successful background screening, which includes criminal and employment verification. Some positions may additionally require a successful credit check screening.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. The YMCA promotes an equal employment opportunity work place which includes reasonable accommodation of otherwise qualified disabled applicants and employees. Please see your manager should you have any questions about this policy or these job duties.
- This job description may not be all-inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.