Parks Maintenance Worker
- City of Casselberry
- Casselberry, Florida
- $15.00 - $16.65 Hourly
- May 23, 2023
- Jul 22, 2023
- Facilities / Maintenance
The Parks Maintenance Worker is responsible for the maintenance and repair of parks and grounds for the City of Casselberry. The Parks Maintenance Worker performs work that is routine and well covered by existing policies, procedures or instructions.
- Provides maintenance and repair of the parks and grounds. (95%)
1.1 Performs visual inspection daily of parks, playground equipment and recreation fields.
1.2 Maintains park landscape; maintains and prepares playing fields and repairs playground equipment.
1.3 Maintains and cleans public restrooms, receptacles and removes debris from the park(s).
1.4 Treats recreation fields chemically with pesticides and fertilizers to control weed growth and insects.
1.5 Responds timely to requests and work orders.
- Additional Duties and Responsibilities (5%)
2.1 Performs all duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core values of the City, and consistent with City and Department policies.
2.2 Follows safe working practices and has a working knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
2.3 Maintains inventory of equipment and materials on work vehicle and small equipment.
2.4 Maintains facility and equipment for cleanliness and ongoing functionality.
2.5 Assists in the pavilion and kayak rentals.
2.6 Adheres to laws, regulations and policies of the City and of the assigned Department. Follows instructions provided by the supervisor, Department Director or their designee.
2.7 Participates in department meetings, staff meetings and other related activities.
2.8 Completes the identified required or assigned training timely and applies acquired knowledge and/or skills.
2.9 Maintains, preserves, retains and disposes of public records pursuant to FS Chapter 119.
- Emergency Management Role
3.1 Participates as a member of the City staff as required to take action in the event of an emergency.
3.2 Acts in the assigned role to support the City in disaster preparation and/or disaster recovery efforts as described in the City of Casselberry Emergency Management Plan, supervisor or designee. As a member of the Public Works Department may be responsible for the coordination of the maintenance and/or clearing of roadways, the operability of City's fleet and prevention or drainage of local or area-wide flooding. In addition, as a member of the Public Works Department may be responsible for the maintaining and/or rapidly restoring the operability of the City's water and sewer systems.
(These essential and additional job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as assigned.)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Education and Training: A High School Diploma or G.E.D is preferred.
- Experience: A minimum of one (1) year experience in construction or maintenance of parks and grounds or related field. A comparable combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Certificates, Licenses and/or Registrations Required: Must possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver's license. A Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) check will be made to determine acceptance of past driving record.
- Security Clearance: Florida Department of Law Enforcement background clearance is required.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge (basic level) of local, state and federal regulations affecting work.
- Knowledge of the proper care and maintenance of tools of the trade.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Knowledge of use of common hand and power tools.
- Knowledge of basic preventive maintenance.
- Skill in effectively dealing with the public and other agencies in a courteous, tactful and impartial manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability (intermediate level) to utilize Microsoft Office Suite, e.g. Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Ability to support the mission statement of the City of Casselberry: Committed to protect and enhance the quality of life within its community.
- Ability to support the core values of the City of Casselberry.
- Ability to support the vision of the City of Casselberry: A vibrant, affordable, diverse, and progressive community where citizens feel safe, enjoy their neighborhoods, and access their city government.
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative and not intended to be all-inclusive of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made when requested to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A. Work Environment: This position primarily performs the duties in a field setting. Frequently, this position works outside in various weather conditions, works near moving mechanical parts, works on slippery or uneven surfaces, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, noise extremes and exposure to aggressive domestic and non-domestic animals, reptiles and insects. The noise level in the work environment is loud.
B. Physical Demands: The primary functions require prolonged periods of standing, walking, bending, pushing, pulling, driving, using hands to handle or feel, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, and reaching with hands and arms. In addition, this position may be required to occasionally lift and carry up to fifty (50) pounds with or without assistance. This position is regularly required to use vision, speech and hearing, with or without assistive devices.
C. Equipment/Tools and Technology Used: This position utilizes the following tools and equipment while performing the duties of the job: Hand tools, lawn mower, edger machine, chainsaws, backpack sprayer, pressure washer, pole saws, and city vehicle.
D. Employee Infection/Exposure Risk Classification: Category III: Employee performs tasks that involve no exposure to blood, body fluids or other potentially infectious materials (OPIM). Persons who perform these duties are not called upon as part of their employment to perform or assist in emergency medical care or first aid, or to be potentially exposed in some other way. Tasks that involve handling of implements or utensils, use of public or shared bathroom facilities or telephones, and personal contact such as handshaking are Category III tasks.
The City of Casselberry offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
The City of Casselberry pays a substantial portion of our employee's health insurance. Dependent coverage is available at an additional cost, part of which is paid by the City. Health insurance discounts for wellness, non-tobacco and biometric screenings are available to qualified individuals. Group discount plans are available for optional dental, vision, STD, Voluntary Life with ADD, Legal, Accident/Critical Illness and Cancer. Paid long term disability after one year of employment.
401a Plan - 10% salary contribution paid by the City
457 Deferred Compensation Plan – City pays 100% match of an employee's voluntary contribution up to 4% of their annual salary
8 paid holidays per year (10 hours per day)
Paid annual leave and sick leave
Paid bereavement and military leave
Cost of Living Adjustments
Education and Certification Incentives
Employee Recognition and Appreciation
2% Residency Incentive pay for Casselberry residents
Wellness Health Incentive Program
The City of Casselberry is an equal opportunity employer, veteran preference provider, and a drug free workplace.