Landscaper - Public Service Worker II - Parks
- City of Winter Garden
- Winter Garden, Florida
- May 25, 2023
- Jul 24, 2023
- Facilities / Maintenance, Operations
A full-time position, the Public Service Worker II assists the Parks and Recreation Department with maintaining park areas, boulevards, medians, and other public areas throughout the City. This position will have an emphasis on the Integrated Pest Management of landscape and turf areas, as well as, associated duties with the care of various types of plants and application of chemicals, fertilizers and cultural controls involved with such care. Various other duties as outlined below will also be required of this position.
- Applies chemicals in a manner consistent with state and local codes/laws and common industry practices to various types of plants, ornamentals, trees, and turf.
- Maintains all chemical application records as per State of Florida requirements
- Orders and maintains chemical inventory/storage and proper labeling as per State of Florida requirements.
- Plans/coordinates application schedules/calendar for preventative applications, fertilization and athletic field turf renovation.
- Follows plans regarding the organization, implementation and maintenance of various types of landscapes within the landscape system.
- Operates moderately heavy landscape equipment including tractors, earth tillers, landscape rakes and blades, augers and skid loaders.
- Performs a wide range of duties involving landscaping such as the planting of trees, shrubs, ground covers, turf, annual and perennial flowers.
- Ability to provide maintenance to irrigation systems.
- Responsible for following instruction regarding materials, equipment, and training to assure a safe working environment for self and other members of the immediate work unit.
- Prepares basic reporting of maintenance issues to immediate supervisor and keeps written records regarding landscape maintenance.
- Provides other maintenance duties as assigned by supervisory staff in areas such as, but not limited to; cleaning duties, mowing turf areas, repairing various types of equipment, moving heavy equipment and supplies, providing athletic field preparation, inspecting park areas and equipment, installing various types of equipment, painting, and assisting with special events.
- Performs other duties as assigned to further the mission of the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Requires high school diploma or GED.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience diagnosing and identifying pests and diseases and applying pesticides, fertilizer, and cultural controls methods in the care of various types of landscape materials.
- Must possess current State of Florida Ornamental and Turf License (Either Public or Commercial classification).
- Moderate written and verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to operate equipment such as; trucks, tractors, riding mowers, hand tools, shovels, earth tillers, generators, saws, probes and small utility vehicles.
- Possess and maintain a valid Florida C class Driver's License and safe driving record.
- Based on FMCSA regulations, applicants for employment and existing employees in positions requiring a CDL are subject to pre-employment, post-employment, and ongoing testing for controlled substances and alcohol as a condition of employment.
Exceptions to the minimum qualifications must be reviewed by the Human Resources Director and approved by the City Manager prior to job offer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Extensive knowledge of various types of landscaping materials and species of plants.
- Experience with and knowledge of Integrated Pest Management methods and the application of fertilizers and pesticides on various species of plants and turf.
- Ability to work effectively with Parks personnel, trainees, volunteers and the general public.
- Ability to read and follow written and verbal instructions, including chemical and fertilizer labels.
- Experience in methods and tools used in planting, removing, and maintenance of landscaped areas.
- Knowledge and skill in safely and efficiently operating automotive and power driven equipment and tools.
- Knowledge of operation and repair of irrigation systems.
- Ability to perform physically demanding work.
- Works in medians and other common areas with exposure to vehicle exhaust.
- Work is almost entirely outdoors and is subject to extremes in weather such as heat, cold, sun, rain, lightning, and wind.
- Some possible exposure to toxins found in overgrown lots and/or containers; normal traffic hazards.
- Probable exposure to mosquitoes, flies, bees and other pests, pesticides and fertilizers.
The City of Winter Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Winter Garden provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.