Lift Station Operator
- City of Winter Garden
- Winter Garden, Florida
- May 25, 2023
- Jul 24, 2023
- Facilities / Maintenance, Operations
Perform responsible skilled labor including the repair, maintenance, adjustment, inspection and have a knowledge of the mechanical and electrical equipment involving lift stations. Performs a variety of maintenance, construction, repair or location tasks involving lift station, force mains etc. Work is performed under the supervision of the collection/distribution supervisor.
The list of essential functions is intended to be representative of the work performed. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.
- Maintains grounds of city property, performing any combination of following tasks: sprays and trims foliage, clears brush, mows and trims grass and weeds, plants trees and bushes.
- Removes debris, and other refuse from grounds.
- Repairs and cleans designated work area, tools and equipment.
- Assists field crews and trades workers in various tasks; mixes concrete and performs routine maintenance of equipment.
- Clears, digs ditches, assemble sand bags.
- Installs traffic devices, erects barricades and assists in patching roads.
- Removes, installs and repairs various types of water pipes, hydrants and appurtenances working in trenches or excavations.
- Performs required inspections, maintenance, repair and adjustments to lift stations including grounds, pumps, motors, monitors, plumbing and other related appurtenances.
- Performs work in manholes and lift stations; assists in maintaining valves, installing water meters and making taps. Working in confined spaces.
- Sets up and operates Vactor sewer cleaning equipment, closed circuit televising equipment, backhoe, payloader, flatbed truck, dump truck, bobcat tractor, tractors, mowers, cement mixers, pumps, compressors, generators and compactors.
- Loads and unloads heavy materials from trucks and vans; moves or aids in moving heavy boxes, equipment and larger or bulky objects.
- May be required to locate, read, and record readings from meters, for regularly scheduled billing or for initial, final, or verification purposes.
- May be required to be on call status where you would respond to emergency calls after normal working hours.
- Performs related duties as directed when such duties are a logical and appropriate assignment to the position.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years' experience as a Field Technician I or related experience.
- Possession of a valid FWPCOA Class 'C' Wastewater Collection Certification.
- Florida CDL Driver License Class 'B' with air brakes and tanker endorsements.
- Must be available and willing to answer emergency or service calls after normal working hours.
- Based on FMCSA regulations, applicants for employment and existing employees in positions requiring a CDL are subject to pre-employment, post-employment, and ongoing testing for controlled substances and alcohol as a condition of employment.
Exceptions to the minimum qualifications must be reviewed by the Human Resources Director and approved by the City Manager prior to job offer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of methods, materials, equipment and practices of the operation of lift stations.
- Knowledge of basic tools used in maintenance and construction work.
- Knowledge of the safe use and proper care of power tools and small power equipment.
- Knowledge of safety rules and regulations related to utilities maintenance operations.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work.
- Ability to supervise and direct the activities of subordinates in an effective manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with subordinates, peers, supervisors and the general public.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and basic written instructions.
- Ability to set up and maintain filing systems.
ENVIRONMENTAL & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Tasks involve the intermittent performance of physically demanding work, typically involving some combination of reaching, bending, stooping, kneeling, or crouching, and that may involve the lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20-50 pounds). Requires intermittent lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of heavier objects (100+ pounds).
- Tasks are performed in outdoor environments. Due to the nature and location of the work environment, tasks include potential for prolonged exposure to disagreeable elements, e.g., heat, humidity, inclement weather. Some tasks include working in and around moving vehicles and associated vehicle/equipment areas, where heightened awareness to surroundings and adherence to established safety precautions is essential in avoidance of injury or accidents. May occasionally encounter hostile or aggressive behavior when asked to respond to a complaint.
The City of Winter Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Winter Garden provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.