Bus Driver - Charter Academy
Certificate Number: N/A/ Job Order: 2023-636/1 Position (On-Site)
RCMA Mulberry Community Academy, a Title I Charter School in Polk County, is seeking an energetic Part-Time Bus Driver!
RCMA Mulberry Community Academy is dedicated to opening doors of opportunity for the children of Florida’s farmworkers and agricultural migrants. Most students in our small, community-oriented classes are English Language Learners of Central American heritage with big dreams of making their mark. In order to best serve our student population, the school is a dual language program school (50:50, English/Spanish), with a one-way immersion model.
Mulberry Community Academy, our newest charter school is located in Mulberry, Florida, and will serve approximately 80 K-1st students in its first year. The small size of enrollment allows us to be able to serve our students and their families on a personal level.
Redlands Christian Migrant Association, RCMA, is a non-profit corporation serving Florida agriculture workers and their children for more than fifty years. RCMA is recognized as a “Schools of Hope operator” by the State Board of Education, a prestigious designation for non-profit, charter school operators.
PURPOSE OF POSITION: The safety of the children is your Number One Priority! To better understand duties and responsibilities the bus driver must obtain and become familiar with RCMA Daily Transportation User Guide before transporting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following; however, other duties may be assigned.
- To ensure the safety of the children, must be able to follow established procedures: before leaving school, loading, unloading, loading at the school, bus stop, child safety restraint systems, and transporting children with wheelchairs.
- Must be able to follow procedures on defensive driving ON and OFF the road.
- Must be able to handle all types of emergencies by following established procedures on vehicle failure, bus/van accidents, and evacuation plans.
- Must ensure the vehicle is prepared for daily transportation by knowing: What to carry on the bus, vehicle inspection requirements, and maintenance of vehicles.
- Adherence to all RCMA funding and DCF requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Before the first day, the individual must have:
- A good driving record and be at least 21 years of age to drive an RCMA vehicle.
- A valid Florida driver’s license.
- An annual physical examination that grants medical approval to drive.
- A valid certificate(s) of course completion for first aid training and child cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) procedures.
- Minimum requirements are a Class C CDL with Passenger (P) and School Bus (S) endorsements. If the bus to be driven has airbrakes, then the minimum requirement is a Class B CDL.
- Documentation of passing pre-employment Florida Department of Transportation Drug/Alcohol testing requirements.
- Level 2 Background Screening as required by the Department of Children and Families.
After the first day, the individual must complete:
- Transportation Training of 8 hours before transporting children.
- Transportation Refresher Training of 4 hours on an annual basis.
Prior to participating in transportation complete option 1 or option 2:
- DCF Transportation Safety Course or
- Early Learning Florida’s Precautions in Transporting Children
- Good reading comprehension and writing skills.
- Experience transporting children helpful.
RCMA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and a drug‑free workplace.