This is routine heavy manual labor in the collection and disposal of all types of garbage and related refuse. Employees do routine repetitive work as part of a crew in Rear Load, or Side Load vehicle collecting garbage and related refuse, and in transporting them to a disposal area. Work is characterized by the necessity for considerable physical exertion, by close daily contact with unpleasant materials, and for working outdoors under varying weather conditions
When operating a refuse rear load collection truck, the employee working on the rear/side must remain alert at all times while the refuse is being loaded and pressure packed in order to protect him/her from injury or damage to the vehicle.
- Required to operate/drive a Rear End Load and/or side load Vehicle including right-hand drive position on certain equipment.
- Responsible for the safe operation of the truck which includes: pre and post-trip inspections, cleaning behind the packer blade and body of the truck, and maintaining overall truck cleanliness on a daily basis.
- As team member on a refuse rear load collection crew, walks to the curb and pulls a ninety-six gallon cart to truck, engages dump mechanism, dumps cart and returns to curb.
- Must provide the highest level of customer service safely and efficiently.
- Picks up bags, small boxes and spilled materials.
- Hooks containers to truck by latches, cables, or hydraulic arms and operates mechanism/equipment to lift and dump containers into truck.
- Must work the hours and/or shifts assigned, and begin and end work on time.
- Must meet attendance requirements.
- Must be punctual and timely in meeting all requirements of performance, including, but not limited to, attendance standards and work deadlines; beginning and ending assignments on time; and scheduled work breaks, where applicable.
- Must maintain courteous, professional and effective working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Must show respect for the opinions of others and behave in such away as to ensure an atmosphere free of needless interruptions, difficulty and/or discrimination.
- Must be sufficiently adaptable to accept and perform in a timely and effective manner work assignments that are outside the normal (day-to-day) routine.
- Other related duties, as required.
- High School Diploma or GED preferred.
- Experience in heavy manual labor, preferably in maintenance, construction and/or refuse collection.
- Must be safety-conscious as work is performed in the streets.
- Possess and maintain Florida CDL class B License.
- Based on FMCSA regulations, applicants for employment and existing employees in positions requiring a CDL are subject to pre-employment, post-employment, and ongoing testing for controlled substances and alcohol as a condition of employment.
Exceptions to the minimum qualifications must be reviewed by the Human Resources Manager and approved by the City Manager prior to job offer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of appropriate methods of lifting, carrying, pulling and/or pushing heavy bins and containers. Knowledge of occupational hazards and appropriate safety precautions.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to ensure that assigned paperwork is completed neatly and accurately.
- Demonstrate the ability to read a map.
- Possess the ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment control levers.
- Ability to collect solid waste materials, which involves lifting collection containers weighing between 40 and 60 pounds and frequent climbing, bending, jumping, carrying, standing, pushing, pulling, and reaching above the head.
ENVIRONMENTAL & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- The work environment exposes the employee to excessive noise in traffic and inclement weather, such as rain and extreme heat and cold.
- The setting is typically greasy, dirty, smelly, and noisy.
- Constantly exposed to fumes, vapors, household (and possible commercial) hazardous waste (pool chemicals, cleaners, etc.) and corrosive chemicals (chlorine bleach and harsh cleansers).
- Also exposed to mosquitoes, flies, bees and unguarded pets.
- Tasks involve the intermittent performance of physically demanding work, typically involving some combination of reaching, bending, stooping, kneeling, or crouching, and that may involve the lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20-75 pounds). Requires intermittent lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of hea