Water Utilities Technician
JOB FAIR ANNOUCEMENT
Join us for a Job Fair at the West Orange Dream Center on August 24th from 11:00am to 2:00pm! Meet with Human Resources and the Department Director. Onsite interviews will be available! We look forward to seeing you there!
West Orange Dream Center
1136 East Plant Street
Winter Garden, FL 34787
8/24/23 from 11am-2pm
This position is responsible for reading water meters and accurately recording consumption on assigned routes. Receives specific work instructions and refers unusual questions to a supervisor for decisions. Work includes frequent public contact; employee sometimes serves as a public relations representative requiring patience and good judgment on the part of the employee. Performs a variety of repair, maintenance, installation and construction tasks involving water meters, meters boxes, service lines, associated fittings and street maintenance activities.
The list of essential functions is intended to be representative of the work performed. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.
- Must be available, willing and able to answer emergency or service calls after normal working hours. Must have physical strength and agility sufficient to perform assigned tasks under varying weather conditions, including rain, wind and summer heat.
- Reads water meters on assigned routes and accurately records the readings.
- Drives a service truck within the City limits to perform physically demanding skilled labor, including installing, relocating, replacing, repairing and maintaining service connections, gate valves and other related appurtenances associated with water systems.
- Locates water mains and valves. Performs required inspections, maintenance and repairs of meters and other related appurtenances. Reports malfunctions, stuck meters, broken dials, leaks and other defects or suspicious conditions to a supervisor at once.
- Performs customer service work orders, turns customer water service on or off, reads meters and other related customer service work.
- May be assigned to read water meters on assigned routes or in response to work orders and accurately record readings. Is responsible for the electronic equipment assigned for the purpose of recording meter reading information and ensures that the equipment is kept from loss or damage. Determines routing sequences for meter reading.
- Maintains records for meter reading and reports meters not accessible for reading. Records and documents required information as needed. Determines consistency of meter readings and reports unusual conditions to the supervisor.
- Obtains consumption history from the City's computer system for use with meter re-reads. Orders meters and associated materials, as well as maintenance supplies.
- May be assigned street maintenance activities such installing road signs, pothole patching, sidewalk and curb and gutter repairs, and painting of traffic markings.
- High school diploma or GED certification and prior labor-intensive work experience, or work experience involving customer or public contact desirable.
- Possession of a valid Florida CDL Driver's permit Class B or higher or ability to obtain permit within 6 months of hire date, and obtain CDL license class B or higher within 12 months, including air brake and tanker endorsements.
- Based on FMCSA regulations, applicants for employment and existing employees in positions requiring a CDL are subject to pre-employment, post-employment, and ongoing testing for controlled substances and alcohol as a condition of employment.
Exceptions to the minimum qualifications must be reviewed by the Human Resources Director and approved by the City Manager prior to job offer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of tools, equipment and materials used in the maintenance, repair and installation of water meters and service lines preferred.
- Ability to learn streets and meter locations within the service area.
- Ability to understand and operate the electronic device used to record meter readings and information concerning the condition of meters at specific addresses.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by the work.
- Ability to fill out reports and work orders with good penmanship.
- Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with the public.
- Ability to teach other employees knowledge and skills to improve their work performance.
ENVIRONMENTAL & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Tasks involve the intermittent performance of physically demanding work, typically involving some combination of reaching, bending, stooping, kneeling or crouching, and may involve the lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20–50 pounds). Requires intermittent lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of heavier objects (75+ pounds). Also requires walking long distances and frequent standing, bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, digging, reaching, crawling, kneeling and lifting.
- May occasionally encounter hostile or aggressive behavior when asked to respond to a complaint. Tasks are performed in outdoor environments, under all weather conditions. Some risk of exposure to vehicular traffic, noise and exhaust fumes, and working around open trenches and construction areas, which involves the use