Customer Service Representative - Utility Billing
This is a position responsible for performing complex and varied duties that include customer service, utility billing, reception, and general clerical work. This position is responsible for performing both complex and varied duties while demonstrating good judgement, and the ability to prioritize, multi-task, manage multi priorities and make effective decisions. Certain positions in this classification may require cash handling and be subject to additional background screening. The work requires attention to detail and accuracy, is performed under general supervision, with complex assignments being checked in detail upon completion. Frequent direct public contact is required.
- Acts as primary contact with citizens or other individuals requesting service or general City information, seeking permits, or making inquiries on planning, zoning, and permitting matters; or information regarding opening a utility account or information on paying a current account.
- Performs varied administrative and clerical services, receives records, forwards complaints, and may relay messages and instructions to field personnel.
- May accept various types of payment for bills and fees based on assigned work area.
- Sets-up and maintains files and records.
- Utilizes computer system programs to type reports, letters, memos, and correspondence.
- Orders office supplies from approved suppliers, maintains appropriate inventory levels of office supplies, and may be required to move file and office supply boxes.
- Updates forms and other department information for the City's web page.
- May function as recording secretary for various board meetings such as Architectural Review Historic Preservation (ARHP), Community Redevelopment Area Advisory Board (CRAAB), and back-up to the Planning and Zoning Board.
- May transcribe from audio tape and copies and distributes minutes and other documents for various Boards, Committees, workshops, City meetings, etc.
- Performs other job-related duties consistent with the assigned Department/Division responsibilities.
- Other general duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent required, with an Associate Degree preferred.
- Ideal candidate will have four (4) years of similar experience.
- Experience in cash handling required.
- Must be able to pass clerical skills test and writing assessment skills as required.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (fluent in speaking, reading, and writing) is highly desirable.
Exceptions to the minimum qualifications must be reviewed by the Human Resources Director and approved by the City Manager prior to job offer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to communicate effectively and courteously with the public.
- Knowledge of recent Microsoft operating systems as well as the Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, and Excel), with the ability to learn and use new software applicable to position with minimal supervision.
- Considerable knowledge of business English, spelling and arithmetic.
- Cash handling experience, with the ability to count change back to customers.
- Ability to understand and learn quickly from written and oral instructions.
- Excellent grammar and ability to proofread documents.
- Able to work independently without close supervision and work in a collaborative manner.
- Strong attention to detail, follow-through, time management, prioritization, organization, and multi-tasking skills with the ability to effectively meet deadlines.
- Ability to accurately create and maintain moderately complex records; enter, retrieve, compile, and create data and standard reports; and operate modern office equipment including a personal computer, printer, telephone, and copier.
PHYSICAL & ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Work is performed in an enclosed office setting with moderate background noise and involves extended periods of standing and sitting and intermittent bending, stooping, crouching, reaching, walking, and stair climbing.
- Requires frequent lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling of objects and materials up to 15 pounds and intermittently up to 40 pounds.
- Requires visual and muscular dexterity, hand/eye coordination, hearing sounds/communication; use of close vision; handling, grasping, fingering objects for extended periods; and the sustained ability to use close and peripheral vision; talk; hear; use hands and fingers to handle, feel, and type; and use hands and arms to reach, handle, lift, and carry objects.
- May occasionally encounter hostile or aggressive behavior when asked to respond to a complaint.
The City of Winter Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Winter Garden provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.