Administrative/Clerical Support - Records Specialist
This position is Monday through Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
This is a position responsible for specialized clerical work involving a centralized police records system. The Records clerk position involves routinely classifying, indexing, filing, storing, and retrieving a large volume of material.
The following duties are not inclusive of all duties for this position. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties as directed by the supervisor. This is a position that requires that the incumbent perform all the tasks while organizing the workload that allows for maximum efficiency and cooperative work effort.
- Sorts, separates, and arranges files, reports, letters, and other documents and material for the Police Department.
- Verifies correct input and retrieval of information from a complex filing system through electronic or other systems.
- Researches computerized and physical records and files to respond to requests from judicial agencies, law enforcement agencies and personnel, other parties of inquiry and citizens.
- Confirms the correct recording of payment for collection of fees.
- Receives and answers telephone and directs inquiries from the public to the appropriate person or department.
- Requires frequent decision-making skills and use of personal computers, adding machines, fax machines, telephones and other office equipment.
- Provides for training and instruction for support staff and may participate in selection.
- Promote current records management techniques to assure availability of vital information, compliance with State Laws, and cost effective storage.
- Processes and disposes of records in accordance with established State of Florida Statutes, regulations and procedures.
- Establishes and maintains security procedures.
- Makes recommendations concerning equipment and supplies.
- Associate Degree or higher.
- Experience in dealing with the general public.
- Bilingual skills preferred.
Exceptions to the minimum qualifications must be reviewed by the Human Resources Director and approved by the City Manager prior to job offer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to deal calmly and politely with difficult people with various ethnic origins.
- Clear, legible handwriting required.
- Proficient in the use of office equipment including personal computers using various software and ability to type at least 40 WPM.
- Complete knowledge of internal and external filing systems.
- Obtain FRMA (Florida Records Management Association) certification within 2 years and maintain such certification.
- Considerable ability to communicate effectively and courteously with co-workers and the public.
- Considerable ability to work in a team environment.
- Office atmosphere.
- Intermittent sitting, standing, stooping, crouching, walking, lifting of light and heavy objects.
The City of Winter Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Winter Garden provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.