Water Safety Instructor
To provide quality swimming opportunities and programs for patrons in a safe and enjoyable aquatic environment. Emphasis on teaching swimming lesson skills to participants.
- Must have Water Safety Instructor certification or ability to obtain before hire (training provided).
- Explains, demonstrates, and critiques swimming lesson skills to participants.
- Prepares detailed lesson plans and gathers necessary materials to teach all levels of instruction.
- Ability to interact and relate to youth of all ages.
- Keeps daily attendance records of participants.
- Provides swimming lesson evaluations to all program participants.
- Performs rescue assists as necessary.
- Participates in weekly/monthly in-service water safety instructor training programs.
- Provides information to the general public and patrons in a professional and courteous manner.
- Keeps pool deck, bath houses, and general area clear of debris and in working order at all times.
- Inspects safety and operational equipment and reports any deficiencies to the pool manager or recreation supervisor.
- Performs swimming test skills and provides safety information to participants.
- Assists with documenting accidents, incidents, pool closures, rescues, chemical reports, etc.
- Assists with special event and daily program and activities.
- Performs pool maintenance as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Works under the supervision of the Recreation Supervisor and Pool Manager.
- Minimum age is 17.
- Previous teaching and/or water safety experience preferred.
Exceptions to the minimum qualifications must be reviewed by the Human Resources Director and approved by the City Manager prior to job offer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of pool rules, safety equipment, and rescue techniques.
- Ability to explain, demonstrate and critique all levels of swimming instruction.
- Ability to effectively maintain crowd control and program activity in a safe and professional manner.
- Ability to perform friendly and effective customer service pertaining to the rules, program activities and operational functions.
- Must be able to swim 300 yards, without resting, using crawl or breast stroke.
- Tread water (legs only) for one minute.
- Swim 8 1/2 feet under water and pick up a ten pound brick.
- Tasks involve some combination of reaching, bending, kneeling, carrying, pushing, pulling and lifting (20-50 lbs.).
- Prolonged exposure to heat, high humidity, sun, rain and inclement weather.
The City of Winter Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Winter Garden provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.