Software Engineer, League Operations - Apex Legends Esports
We are a global team of creators, storytellers, technologists, experience originators, innovators and so much more. We believe amazing games and experiences start with teams as diverse as the players and communities we serve. At Electronic Arts, the only limit is your imagination.
The future of entertainment is interactive, and our Marketing team plays an important role in this future by building content, culture, and community around our brands. We empower audiences to Play, Create, Watch, and Connect across our amazing franchises and experiences, including The Sims, Madden NFL, EA SPORTS FC, Apex Legends, and Battlefield.
We're a multi-functional group, with world-class expertise in building fandoms, driving interactive storytelling, and positioning our franchises at the center of the broader entertainment ecosystem.
We are growing our team that manages esports for Apex Legends globally and looking for a full-stack software engineer working on-site, hybrid, or remotely based in North America to join the Apex Legends Esports team who can work across our portfolio of esports technology, including backend services, broadcast tools, statistics databases, and player-facing competition experiences.
As a software engineer on the League Operations team, you will inherit ownership of our existing esports technology stack. You will design, implement, and maintain awesome new products that boost internal efficiency, drive fan engagement, and improve the player experience. You will collaborate with many different teams within EA and report to the Director, League Operations, Apex Legends Esports. Together, we will inspire the world to play competitively and make stars of our players and teams.
- Work as part of the League Operations team to support the delivery of online and in-person Apex Legends competitions and broadcasts
- Lead the planning, design, implementation, and testing of our internal tournament management tools, APIs, stats databases, competition websites, and other player-facing esports features
- Partner with EA's broadcast team and external partners to ensure they have access to programmatically served competition data (statistics, player/team information, schedules, event details), enabling them to create extraordinary live broadcasts and in-arena experiences for players and fans
- You will help identify, negotiate with, and ultimately integrate technology solutions from external vendors that improve player and fan experiences around our global esports competitions
- Foster relationships with other engineering teams within EA to leverage existing products and technology to achieve our goals
- You will spend roughly 70% of your time hands-on programming, building and maintaining efficient, reusable, and reliable code
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- 2+ years working with cloud architecture across Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and similar cloud environments
- Proficient in modern programming languages used in our existing code base (Java, Python, Go, TypeScript, JS, ReactJS, and NodeJS)
- Excellent knowledge of web services, microservices architecture, API design, scalable system architecture, and operating and supporting production services
- Understand SQL database design principles for effective and scalable data structures
- Experience with project tracking, version control, and developer tools like Jira, Confluence, GitHub, Azure DevOps, SCM, and project management software like Airtable, Trello, and Asana
- Have previously demonstrated leadership and mentorship on engineering teams
- You enjoy being a subject matter expert and the 'go-to' person for all things esports technology, statistics, and other competition data
- Willingness to work on-call, on weekends, and travel internationally for events
- Knowledge of worldwide esports industry trends, programs, and best practices
- Passion for Apex Legends, the Apex Legends Global Series, other esports, or experience playing games in a competitive environment
- Experience working on projects making use of modern game APIs
- Previous experience working with broadcast and event production teams in esports or traditional sport is ideal
- Familiarity with the OAuth 2.0 authorization framework is a bonus
- Some experience with Discord app development and webhooks is a bonus
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: The base salary ranges listed below are for the defined geographic market pay zones in these locations. If you reside outside of these locations, a recruiter will advise on the range and benefits for your specific location. EA has listed the base salary ranges it in good faith expects to pay applicants for this role in the locations listed, as of the time of this posting. Pay offered will be determined based on numerous relevant business and candidate factors including, for example, education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, and business or organizational needs.
BASE SALARY RANGES: California (depending on location e.g. Los Angeles vs. Sacramento): º $114,200 - $166,200 USD Annually • New York (depending on location e.g. Manhattan vs. Buffalo): º $99,900 - $166,200 USD Annually • Jersey City, NJ : º $131,600 - $168,400 USD Annually • Colorado (depending on location e.g. Denver vs. Colorado Springs): º $99,900 - $141,800 USD Annually • Washington (depending on location e.g. Seattle vs. Spokane): º $99,900 - $168,400 USD Annually • British Columbia (depending on location e.g. Vancouver vs. Victoria): º $77,600 - $130,500 CAN Annually Base salary is just one part of the overall compensation at EA. In the US, we offer a package of benefits including paid time off (3 weeks per year to start), 80 hours per year of sick time, 16 paid company holidays per year, 10 weeks paid time off to bond with baby, medical/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, and 401(k) to regular full-time employees. Certain roles may also be eligible for bonus and equity. For British Columbia, we offer a package of benefits including vacation (3 weeks per year to start), 10 days per year of sick time, paid top-up to EI/QPIP benefits up to 100% of base salary when you welcome a new child (12 weeks for maternity, and 4 weeks for parental/adoption leave), extended health/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, disability insurance, retirement plan to regular full-time employees. Certain roles may also be eligible for bonus and equity.
About Electronic Arts
Everything we do is designed to inspire the world to play. Through our cutting-edge games, innovative services, and powerful technologies, we bring worlds with infinite possibilities to millions of players and fans around the globe.
We're looking for collaborative and inclusive people with diverse perspectives who will enrich our culture and challenge us. We take a holistic approach with our benefits program, focusing on physical, emotional, financial, career, and community wellness to support our people through every chapter of life. We provide comprehensive benefit packages and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free games and so much more. Our goal is to provide a safe and respectful workplace that empowers you to thrive in both work and life.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.